Site visit

 Site-visit

The museum is the only original building left of the hospital. It is filled with donated stuff related to the hospital. The most interesting room for me was the seclusion room (pictured here with a bed and clothes hung up). The mattress on the bed is made of hay, the clothes hung up are old patients clothes including a straight jacket on the left. The door in the seclusion room was all scratched up with peoples names and had marks from the patients banging the bed against the door. I also found it interesting that there were baby cots displayed, the lady at the museum explained that many women with postpartum depression were treated here and came in with their babies. The lady that showed me around was a nurse here in the 80s. The skeleton is real and I found it interesting. 

The nurse showing me around told me a lot about ECT therapy. She said people always thought of it as cruel but she said she saw many patients benefiting and being cured through it. I also found the medical brain interesting. 

Here are some medical posters and patients paintings that are displayed. 

Suzanne Tocher was a patient here, there are many of her artworks displayed. I really enjoyed them. 

This is a book by Suzanne Tocher featuring some of her artworks, wrinting and poems. 

Museum Library